A couple of days ago, we were out and about, and I spotted a box turtle on the sidewalk in the subdivision we were in. Bug Hunter and the girls next door all clamored for me to stop so they could get it, so I did. I know about box turtles, and that they live and die within a very small area. And how if you take them out of that area and then release them, they'll put on their little homing beacon and head home, which NEVER works out because of inconvenient things like roads, and cars, and dogs. So I solemnly swear that, when it is time to release said turtle, she will be returned back to the neighborhood from whence she came, and even to that very sidewalk. Here she is; they named her Sprout, until we looked up all of the info on determining whether a box turtle is a he or a she and discovered that she is, in fact, Sproutette:
Isn't she lovely?
Anyway, the next morning, Bug Hunter went outside to check on Sprout(ette) and I went with him. He stepped down towards the creek, lifted his nose, and said "I think there may be some more turtles out today." I went back into the house, and no lie, he came back in 15 minutes later with TWO more box turtles. Really, if I didn't know better, I would say that Steve Irwin or Jeff Corwin somehow fathered that boy (but I DO know better, and Handsome Hubby most definitely IS his dad). Seriously, how many people can smell box turtles from a hundred yards away and FIND them? It totally blew my mind. Here they are, freshly scrubbed on about the third washing given to them by the kids:
To the left is Sprout(ette), in the middle is Heidi, who is actually a boy, and on the right is Dynamite, who is also a boy (we think; but we keep spotting Heidi piggybacking on top of Dynamite, and I'm beginning to wonder if that box turtle fact sheet was accurate).
Ahhhh.. I love the smell of box turtles in the morning....
Saturday, August 1, 2009
How DOES he do it?
Posted by Pam D at 11:43:00 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 kind comments:
Your son is really cool.
haha... that is hilarious that your son knew there were more turtles out there!!
God sure gave the Bug Hunter to the right mom. Only you could be enthralled by the creatures your little guy brings home.
Although, I must admit, he does have a gift.
Those are so cool! I'm going to bring my kids to your blog in the morning because they are going to love seeing these. I think they'd love being friends with Bug Hunter too...he likes the same things that they do. :)
Thank you so much for the comment! I already follow you, but I can't remember from which website I saw you, perhaps from I <3 Faces? The turtles are beautiful! Love the info about them- all I looked up was what kind it was, I wonder now if it was a he or a she! Thanks again!
Post a Comment