
I Heart Faces is looking for "creatively cropped" pictures this week. Here's how they put it:
For this challenge, we view "creative cropping" in two ways:
1) You can creatively crop your shot in the camera while you are taking the photo (maybe only shoot half the face or way off to one side) or
2) You can take a photo that badly needed some cropping and crop it down in a creative way.
Mainly, you just have to make sure the face is still very much a visible part of your photo.
Here's the super-fun part! Typically, we only allow each participant to have one photo per category in their post (one for Kids and one for Adults.) During this special week we are going to let everyone post their "before" photo along with the creatively cropped photo. (So, if you'd like, you can post the original Kids photo and then that same photo creatively cropped and/or the original Adults photo and that same photo creatively cropped.) We think it will be fun to see how the photo changed just from a creative cropping job!
I've been drooling for weeks over all of the beautifully edited photos in the I Heart Faces contests. I've been using just the basics in my Dell photo software, which really IS basic. I started researching to see what editing program I might like to get. And then, I remembered that I'd bought software a couple of years ago to make a slideshow for my preschool class. Turns out that it's also a digital photo-editing program that I could have been using all along! Duh. It's Microsoft's Digital Image Suite, and while it doesn't hold a candle to PhotoShop or PaintShop Pro, it's still a lot better than what I've been using. So, I took this photo:
and used the crop, filters, and edge functions, and came up with this:

While I may not "win" the contest, I feel like I just might be the biggest winner of all. I've discovered an editing program that I didn't even know I had, and I'm going to have a LOT of fun with it! Not to mention all of the wonderful tips provided by contributors to the contest. For more great pictures and advice, head over to I Heart Faces (right after you leave a comment here!). Make sure to leave some love at the other sites you visit, too! One more thing... through today's contest, I learned that in some cases, less really IS more!






22 kind comments:
Beautiful!
The editing and crop are both beautiful!I love the softness you added.
Great job!! I love how babies "eat" everything!
Oh, that is too gorgeous, Pam! I love what you've done to the edges. I'll be posting my entry tomorrow...GOOD LUCK to ya!
Such a tender moment! Love the crop...enhances the photo!
Very nice. Once I get this sleep thing under control again I will look at getting on the I Heart Faces.. I use a program I got a couple years ago called Photo Explosion. I love it.
Pam,
Isn't it great fun to rediscover something wonderful? I could spent 27 hours a day playing with pictures, graphics, cropping, frames, etc. And the job you did on YOUR pix was just perfect.
By the way, have you ever checked out picnik.com? A wonderful photo editing site.
Becky
caringbridge.org/nc/sarahsmith
You did a beautiful job! :)
That is a really great picture!! Really shows how cropping creates a masterpiece!
I think it turned out great! The editing is wonderful and I really like the facial expression!
Very nice crop! And yeah for finding a new tool to play with your photographs!
You did a wonderful job! Looks like it could be a greeting card. Thaks for always leaving such nice comments on my blog too!
Great job! And congrats on discovering your photo editing software and learning to use it - that's a definite win :)
The open mouth reminds me of a baby bird. Great crop!!!
Kris, that's it! I was trying to think of what her look reminded me of... not really crying, or singing, or smiling. It's just like a baby bird opening her mouth for food when someone touches her head!
Just precious!! This crop is now a photo out of a storybook!
That is a sweet shot!! I love it too!!
That photo is definitely a winner in my book!! Beautiful!!
WOW! That turned out spectacular! The moment looks so much more special cropped like that. Great job.
Did you see my Fix-It Friday entry last Friday where I used Picnik? It's free and then only $25 per year if you want to upgrade. I really liked playing around with it. I think you'd love it too.
http://iheartfaces.blogspot.com/2008/01/amy-locurto-fix-it-5.html
Thanks for the sweet comment on my blog:-) Oh, yes... I'm a big head chopper offer. I don't like big foreheads... ha!
Amy
Co-Founder
I Heart Faces
Pam:
I don't check in for two days and I'm three, count them three, blogs behind????????? How can this be?
I am really signing on in the comment section of your latest entry (which, by the way, your photos are beautiful) to respond to your shoes entry.
Amazing. On several levels. First, thank you God for giving me all girls. I love little boys, but their adventures are a bit daunting to me (give me a good old upscale mall, and I am a happy camper, er, mom). What a loving mom and GREAT sport to take off on the journey with your little love bug.
The description of the journey itself sounds amazing as well, but only because I can see it through your eyes. Had I had to imagine it myself, it would have been filled with cold water, annoying bugs, and--possibly the worst one of all--BENDING. You, on the other hand, were enriched by the journey every turn, every bend, every inch of water. Why? Well, that's the best part of all!
You are able to see the God in everything. You are able to attach a larger truth to the simplest situations. You are always aware of how God works in your life.
What a gift. Thank you for sharing it with us.
Sue G
www.caringbridge.org/visit/sueguenther
I use the same editing program. You did an amazing transformation with that photo. Such a beautiful moment to have captured!
This is sooo very percious. I really love it. The softness about it is just beautiful. Would love to know what editing program you used...
Post a Comment